WHAT DO PATENT LAWYERS DO TO HELP BUSINESSES?
A patent lawyer is a lawyer who has the specialized qualifications necessary for representing clients in obtaining patents and acting in all matters and procedures relating to patent law and practice, such as filing an opposition. The term is used differently in different countries, and thus may or may not require the same legal qualifications as a general legal practitioner.
The titles patent agent and patent lawyer are also used in some jurisdictions. In some jurisdictions the terms are interchangeable, while in others the latter is used only if the person qualified as a lawyer.
A patent application is a request pending at a patent office for the grant of a patent for the invention described and claimed by that application. An application consists of a description of the invention (the patent specification), together with official forms and correspondence relating to the application.
The term patent application is also used to refer to the process of applying for a patent, or to the patent specification itself (i.e. the content of the document filed with a view to initiating the process of applying for a patent
What Patent Lawyers Do:
· Patent lawyers can help inventors research their invention, guide them through the patent application process and create a patent that will protect that invention.
· Just because a person has gone to law school does not mean that they know how to write a patent application. Just because they’ve actually passed the patent bar does not mean they know how to write a patent application. To learn how to write a patent application takes years of working as an apprentice with an experienced patent attorney. In fact, most lawyers do not understand patent law at all.
· All multinational companies and organizations needs a patent lawyer hired because none of their engineers or economic experts can right that no matter how much qualified they are.
· When a patent application is poorly written, it may be worthless and possibly harmful because it creates the illusion of protection. You might make mistakes in judgment and in how to conduct your business because you think you have that legal protection when in fact, you don’t.
· A law firm has all patent lawyers from junior to senior and they provide one to client according to the company’s legal requirements.
· Hiring a patent lawyer is good as it is cheaper than the opposite process of doing it yourself. A patent lawyer is already familiar to all legal procedure and requirements and thus directly precedes the case.
· Letting a patent lawyers proceed your case will also save your time and case completion will take less time as he is aware of all steps and their regulation time.
· Another major aspect of the work of an IP lawyer is to help companies to avoid infringing on a patent or copyright that somebody else has. This is actually fairly common when it comes to patents as many times when a company designs something that find that somebody has already got a similar patent. It may be possible to get around this by making your product different enough; an IP attorney can help the company to determine if they can do this and how.
Patent Attorney, Patent Lawyer